FOSS Responders

Topics to review in time for website refresh week of April 6th

Hi all,

As discussed in our website subgroup meeting, Discourse will be used for several use-cases.

Ready to review

Still needed

• FAQ landing page (need to add 3-5 questions and answers to seed the conversation)

Please help review! You can make direct edits to the wikis, or add comments below.

I added placeholder designs to make it look a bit nicer.

@tobiaseigen @alyssapwright – mind taking a look at these topics? They are meant to be landing pages and instruct people on how to get to their respective sections.

Looking great! Some initial thoughts:

If the #resources:matchmaking category is being used for two different kinds of topics, then the category templates may not work. But you could use https://meta.discourse.org/t/compose-a-new-pre-filled-topic-via-url/28074?u=tobiaseigen. It lets you provide a URL that, when clicked, starts a new topic in the category with the placeholder text.

I get that you want to add placeholder designs to make it look a bit nicer - but it’s not really ideal for the long term. Better would be to set someone loose who knows css and can theme discourse for you maybe with banner topics, category banner and/or versatile banner theme components. One downside to the current approach is that, if you put an image at the top of a topic, the preview text may not look as expected on topic lists when you pin topics. Try it.

1 Like

It looks like the image doesn’t interfere with the preview text, but I agree that having more theming could be nice as we continue to improve!

Ooooh, I like your idea of having a link that takes you to the right place! Let’s try that.

Just an FYI that I sprained my back this weekend so will be taking today off and possibly another day or two to rest. I’ll be on intermittently, but sorry in advance for any delayed responses!

1 Like

oh no! sorry to hear about the sprained back. take good care. :sunflower:

It looks like the image doesn’t interfere with the preview text, but I agree that having more theming could be nice as we continue to improve!

You are right - they must have fixed something since the last time I tried this. :rocket:

I added this - feel free to tweak it as you see fit. Note you have to url encode spaces (%20) and line breaks (%0D).

1 Like