FOSS Responders

Introduce yourself here!

Let’s get to know each other a bit better!

Please scroll to the bottom, hit the blue Reply button and introduce yourself. Consider including:

• Where you are typically based
  • What open source projects you contribute to and what you do there
  • What kind of stuff you might be able to help with
  • Your blog/LinkedIn/Twitter/GitHub/GitLab/other way for the community to follow you
  • Some of your favorite things to do outside of contributing to open source
  • [insert your own fun fact here]

You are encouraged to use a real picture of yourself as your avatar. To change it, click on your current avatar circle in the upper right hand corner of the window and then click on the gear to access the settings page.

This topic is only for introductions. For anything else, please take a look at the categories!

3 Likes

Im Jocelyn – based in California and I work at Storj Labs. One of my favorite things to do outside of open source is cooking

1 Like

Nice to meet everyone! You’ll probably see a lot of me on here since I’m a core member of the FOSS Responders working group.

Here’s a bit about me:

• Based in San Francisco Bay Area, in California, USA
  • I’m currently a Sr. Open Source Program Manager at GitLab. Before that, I helped start Endless, a company that created Linux-based computer for users that had little-to-no access to internet or were new to computing, and was also the President of the GNOME Foundation for three terms, ending in 2019.
  • As a program manager, I’m typically good at organizing ideas, people, and initiatives.
  • Outside of work I like to listen to audiobooks and podcasts, hike, travel, go wine tasting, watch Netflix/relax, and spend lots of time with friends and family.
  • I speak Spanish, English, a little bit of Italian, and even less German (I took a single German language class so can do some basic introductions and count to 100 or so :slight_smile: )

Twitter: @1nuritzi | GitHub/GitLab: @nuritzi | LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/nuritizis

Hello, I am wisdom from Nigeria an Mobile Engineer, i work with Savics and I love contributing to Open Source project

1 Like

Hi guys,

my name is Jens, and I’m typically based at home, near Munich in Germany.

I run the interpeer project - it’s new, there’s not much to see there yet, but I was lucky to actually get a couple of months of funding for it, so expect things to appear there soon(-ish).

COVID-19 affects me not due to the lack of funding (phew!), but the lack of time (un-phew!). Funding is based on milestones, and with kids at home, completing milestones is much harder than anticipated. I’m not complaining, though, at least the funding is there in principle.

Unfortunately, that means I’m joining this community more on the off chance that I can help than being able to commit time or money for the time being. We’ll see how it plays out.

1 Like

Greetings, everyone!

I’m a game developer and Star and Serpent indie game studio founder from Finland. We work on cool stuff on our spare time.

We are developing a C# voxel game engine under MIT license for the MIT licensed Godot game engine.

But the undertaking is massive and I joined this community in the hopes of finding talented and enthusiastic help.

The atmosphere in the scene has changed a lot since the 80’ies when I was a kid. Unfortunately these days when you look for people to join a cool project the first they ask is “How much are you going to pay me?” It is so sad. Who has the millions to pay for labor on open source projects that could go on for years?

We’re pretty much running on a zero budget, but still the expenses for servers and other essential services accumulate to about $2500 per year.

But money’s not the point. It’s building something cool that other people are free to use in their own projects :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

• Pilvinen
1 Like

Greetings from Brain-Washington, Disenfranchised City (DC),

I don’t know how active I will be here, but I am a long-time user, advocate and developer of FLOSS, long before there was such a term – i.e. 1972. (Not a particularly gifted developer, but people have been paying me to do it for close to 50 years, and have been satisfied with the results. So, there’s that.)

Also “FLOSH” where the “H” is “Hardware”: I’m a charter member of the 2nd oldest hackerspace in the U.S. (according to Wikipedia and WIRED magazine) – HacDC.

The past few years, I’ve been hangin’ with NOVA Web Development with a small, budding tech co-op. We’re trying to develop a tool aimed at helping unions and the labor movement – and similar groups – organize: LibreOrganize, a Django-based application.

However, of late, I’m winding down with the coding and turning to:

• getting back to making music ♫ (flute, voice, Celtic folk, progressive rock) though lockdown has REALLY impacted that a LOT for me.
  • unicycling (surprisingly still able to do it after many years away from it)
  • learning electronics – something I periodically make an attempt at.
  • raging against the regime on social media – a complete waste of time

LinkedInMastodonCodebergGitLabTwitter